Monday, January 17, 2011

Columbine- Dave Cullen ch 1-9

So far Columbine is one of the best nonfiction books I have read. I thought maybe it would be sort of tiring since we have all heard 'all the details' of the infamous Columbine High school shootings; not the case! He starts out by characterizing one of the coaches at the high school and describing an inspiring speech he had made just days before the shootings. He gives more back ground information, and details things you didn't hear on the news. His style of writing is maybe not what people want to believe, mainly because it's extremely disturbing. What he finds is that Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris were actually not bullied, at least not to the extent that would send someone over the edge. Eric was pretty popular with the ladies, and had lots of friends. Dylan, although quiet, had friends too. He even went with a large group in a limo to prom only days before the shootings.

Reading this book gives me chills, and it makes me wonder what really made them do this. No one can ever really know. They were obviously sick kids, in more than one use of the word. But they seemed so normal. They had jobs, and went to parties, and had friends. It's really a shame. However, the book hasn't gone into the day of the killings yet, at least not in detail, which I'm sure it will. This book is really good, it isn't just all about facts and statistics, its about their lives, and life in Colorado, where they lived. It's like an inside look at the life of killers. I'm excited to finish it, its hard to take a break from reading it because it's really interesting!

P.S...I'm reading this book on my nook colour and it's cool...but I gotta say I like the real thing better!

No comments:

Post a Comment