Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hole in My Life- Jack Gantos

Jack Gantos's 'Hole in My Life' is a revealing first account of drug smuggling and prison life. It started out slow, and crept its way up in 'can't put it down' status. He's just a teenager who wants to go to college, his family moves and he stays in his hometown of Florida while his dad starts up a business on a tropical island. In his time alone he becomes slightly more rebellious, drinking, smoking pot etc. He's an aspiring writer who's one wish is to go to a good college. While visiting his family on the island they live on, a proposition is made to him and he accepts. He was asked to help smuggle drugs overseas, he was hesitant but there was 10,000 dollars offered and he was broke. He figured the money would be his ticket to college town. Oh how he was wrong. He was caught, indited, and convicted. Uh-oh.

I've been busy reading another book so I only got to the part when he is just getting to prison. But I can't wait to finish it! It was so intense when they got caught my heart was actually beating slightly fast...The sad thing about it is you can tell Jack isn't a typical criminal. Just a normal kid, doing something seemingly innocent with the exception of the law. However, he's caught, and is piled with a plethora of criminal charges to boot. I feel bad for Jack in this whole situation. Anyone can get tangled up with the wrong people if their minds not in the right place. I guess this story is probably just another cautionary tale likely to be ignored as most are.

No comments:

Post a Comment